Friday, September 23, 2011

R&B Singer Vesta WilliamsFound Dead in L.A. Hotel Room

R&B singer Vesta Williams was found dead in a Los Angeles, California hotel room on Thursday. She was 48. 

Best known for her 1989 hit “Congratulations,” word of the singer’s death has been making the rounds on Twitter as fellow celebrities have been sending out their condolences since last night.

The cause of death is still unknown pending the completion of a full investigation.

Born in Coshocton, Ohio, and the daughter of a disc jockey, Williams was known for her sultry soulful singing style.  She was a back-up singer for such notable artists as Stephanie Mills, Gladys Knight and Chaka Khan.

Williams was also known for her significant weight loss as recounted in a 1996 Ebony Magazine article where she shares she went from a size 26 on her 5'3" frame to a size six.

"When I lost my record deal and my phone wasn't ringing, I realized that I had to reassess who Vesta was and figure out what was going wrong. I knew it wasn't my singing ability. So it had to be that I was expendable because I didn't have the right look."

Vest was known not only for her beautiful voice, but her beautiful spirit.  She will be missed.

~YBW Staff

No comments: