Thursday, January 31, 2008

My First Love


My senior year of high school I went to UNC to visit. This guy took a group of us to observe a college class. He sent me a note asking which schools I had been accepted. I thought nothing else about him. Advance forward to my first week on campus my freshman year. The two large dorms, Morrison and Hinton James, had a party for the freshman. Same random guy was there as a counselor. After the party he volunteered to walk my friend and I back to the dorm. Sure, whatever.

Two days later I see him in the cafeteria, we lock eyes, and within hours become a couple. (Remember this is before I even started classes my freshman year.) Anthony and I stayed together for three years until he graduated. People often called us "The Happy Couple" because we were always together and also constantly smiling. He walked me to my classes and we always made sure our dorm rooms were placed next to each other. He became my best friend at UNC and I shared all of my hopes, dreams, experiences and fears with him. I was truly in love. But that love scared me at the age of 20. I thought about how college is the time you get to know various people, and he was the only man I ever met. I still had another year at Carolina so we broke up in 1997 and I decided to see what else was out there.

Anthony will tell you that I was the person he envisioned himself marrying. However while he was always ready to settle down, it wasn't until about 6 years ago that I was honestly ready to consider marrying someone. By then he had moved on with his life and now has a wife and two kids. Recently we met for lunch in North Carolina. Although we've talked on the phone, this was our first time together alone since we broke up. I was nervous at first, but we had a blast. We spent three hours reliving the college days and both apologized for things done wrong. When I asked the waitress to take our picture, she said "You all are such a great couple!" (lol) I drove away with flashback memories of the strongest relationship I have been a part of. I realized that he loved me for the person I was and will always be there to protect me. He helped me remember the genuine qualities I need to look for in my next potential mate/relationship and that all people come into your life for a reason.

Who would have known that while I was sitting in the back of a UNC classroom, planning what I'd wear to prom, that a guy would be put into my life that would show me what true love really is?! I say this because you never know when the next "he/she" will be placed into your life. Watch out, now!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you regret letting a good guy slip away?