Sunday, March 23, 2008

Women and Black Hair Stylists

It is currently 7:40pm and I am sitting under a hair dryer. I have been at the hair salon since 4:00pm today. The longer I sit here, the longer I begin to ponder the question: "How long should you really spend getting your hair done?" I thought about all of the other things I do in life and the amount of time it takes to complete them. Working out - 90 minutes. I'm talking about a full body workout which includes cardio. Eating out- I can go to a restaurant and (even with a wait) be in and out in less than two hours. Church - I get a sermon, songs, and a prayer in 2 hours or less. (If I go to my Episcopal Church, they also throw in communion each Sunday and we're out in about an hour) Get R Done! A trip to the doctor for my annual physical - now docs aren't always on schedule, but once you get back in a room most of the attention is focused on you. I'll give it 90 minutes max. Still, nothing mentioned is close to four hours!


So, is it me? Is my hair that messed up? The last time I looked in the mirror I didn't think I had the nappiest 'do around. I mean, I don't have a lot of Indian in my family, but my hair does have potential. I don't get color, a weave or micro braids. Why? Why? Why? My hair isn't even thick so you can't blame it on the dryer. I will give some time to the fact that I got a relaxer. However, the other women I work with get their hair done during the workday. Most go to the salon downstairs. It is so amazing. They go downstairs at 10:00am and by 10:30am they are back upstairs looking fabulous. I didn't know 30 minutes and hair could be used in the same sentence!


Well, I looked at the color of my skin and compared it to my co-workers. I realized I was much darker than them. Is this a racist thing? Is there a conspiracy going around to keep black women in one area for an extended amount of time? Did black men plan this is order to have extended peace and quiet at home? I just don't know the answer. I asked some of my friends their thoughts. Some said they think black beauty salons take so long because folks are gossiping and you go in knowing you'll be there all day. Some said it's the speed of the stylist. Others think it's the price you pay for your service and that if you're willing to pay more, your wait will be less. I still had no clear answer so I asked my stylist her thoughts. She said that part of the reason it takes us longer is that our hair texture is different than our counterparts so most styles require us to sit under the dryer. She also said our counterparts can also take lengthy times getting a new do if they get color or some other process and usually when they are in/out quickly it's because of a quick hair cut or style. What she said made sense, but I don't know. I mean, I love my hair when I leave the salon and my stylist keeps it in great condition. But there has to be a solution. My hair is precious, but at the same time so is my time. I shouldn't have to spend a 1/2 day of work just to look presentable to the world!!

No comments: