Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Private Concert


I've lived the majority of my life in the small city of Louisville, KY. Although you can usually find something to do here, it is rare to get quality African American performance groups in the area. I grew up a competition gymnast, cheerleader and semi-pro dancer so I have deep commitment and love for the arts.

Recently I went to visit my college roommate, DeShawn. She’s currently an OB-GYN in the Baltimore area. Several days before my expected arrival, she called asking if I wanted to go see the Alvin Ailey dancers. OF COURSE! As a minority child growing up doing physical activities, I dreamed of one day being as graceful as the Alvin Ailey dancers. Now my moment was coming to view them live. I became excited just at the thought.

We arrived at the infamous Kennedy Center and walked in with several hundred people. As others asked the usher to help them to their seat, DeShawn just walked passed them and said, “I know where we’re going”. We continued to walk closer and closer to the front of the theatre. As we got to the front row, DeShawn said these were our seats. Are you serious? As I sat down in my front row seat, I turned my back and saw four tiers of thousands of people. I was surprised by the size of the theatre and the rows of people that flowed behind me. I viewed the fabulous crystal chandelier piece that hung from the ceiling. I thought of all the historic events that had taken place here. I then faced forward in my seat and touched the stage. It was right there in front of me. Wow!

As the curtain raised, I was mesmerized by what I saw. There were beautiful African American dancers of all shades gracefully dancing across the stage. Their costumes were delicately put together and I sat in awe as they swayed to the rhythm of the beat. I felt as if it were my own private concert. I was so close to the dancers that I could tell you the color of their eye shadow, hear their breathing patterns and describe the muscular lines as they changed movements. As the music changed from jazz to negro spirituals I started to really ponder the magnitude of what I was viewing. The Alvin Ailey performers represent some of the most talented African American dancers in the nation. Both historically and today, they have been able to show an appreciation for the arts that millions have flocked to see. Their style and charisma were simply breath taking and their passion toward preserving African American traditions through song and dance will be a memory that will stay close to my heart.

1 comment:

~Beautiful~loved~and~blessed~ said...

Senator Obama should be judged by his works; which is quite clear he does not share his Pastors views with the anti-American remarks in regards to the other remarks made; I didn’t hear any racial slurs, and every thing else was true…I’m curious as to why the media chose to re-air the footage that was previously addressed? The timing seemed quite organized therefore once again racism is used as a political tool.