Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Color of WInter (Black Folks edition)

We all have favorite colors that we like to wear during the holiday season.  Some prefer winter white, while others are more attracted to grays, blacks or basic neutral colors.  However, there is a color that many of us wear that just isn't acceptable.  That color is ash (also known as ashy).  How many times have you reached out to shake someone's hand only to be greeted by the white, ashy crevasse between that person's pointer finger and thumb?  How many ashy knees have you seen walk by your path or ashy ankles just yelling out to be noticed?

Now, before I tell you some solutions, I must admit that I held the title 'Queen Ash' for several years running.  I often felt that if my clothes covered a specific body part, then it didn't need lotion.  My dark chocolate legs looked like the gray and white static you see on a television screen.  I could easily use my legs as a blackboard and write the word of the day for all to see.  I also didn't think about lotion on my hands.  When I saw a sign of ash creeping through my fingers, I knew the instant natural solution.  I had a mouth full of saliva and just needed to give a simple lick to the ashy area and my problems were quickly solved.

Little did I know that the people who loved me most also worried about my dry skin.  They would buy me bottles of lotion and even offer to place it on the spots needing the most attention.  I would sit with amazement as I compared my ashy leg to the newly glistening limb.  Wow!  Who would have ever thought that so much magic could exist is such a small bottle.  At that point, I knew I needed to make a change. 

The first thing I had to do was get rid of all of the dollar store lotions.  I'm talking about the type of lotions that runs rapidly out of the bottle without hesitation just begging for freedom. When you get a bottle do the consistency test.  If the lotion is thick like molasses then it's probably a pretty good product.  However, if it's thin like your mom's favorite Kool-Aid, then throw it in the closest receptacle.      

Secondly, before you walk out the house with a new product, you must do a practice run.  Don't just place the lotion all over your body and head out to an important meeting.  You may embarrass yourself by showing up to your meeting with lotion that has already dissolved.  Don't you hate it when you have your sexy, new skirt on with your fly girl walk only to get to your car to see your cheap lotion only lasted for 30 seconds?  Your practice run should take place on the weekend, preferably on a day that you don't have anywhere to be.  Put the lotion on your entire body and run around naked for the day.  Do self ash-checks every four hours and become one with your body.   

Next, ask a friend for advice.  So often we think we know our body. However, it often takes someone else to let us know where those hidden spots are on are body that have been calling out for years for lotion.  Some people with short hair my not have thought about the back of their necks.  Not all of us remember those awkward shaped elbows.  And don't forget about the toes.  There's nothing more unattractive than being in the mood to massage your mate's feet only to be greeted by claws in need of intense therapy.

Lastly, find a product that is right for you.  No product will meet everyone's need.  My current favorite product is Eucerin.  Although it's pricier than other lotions, I know that it works and lasts for hours.  There are a million and one different products. Some are scented and some others medicated.  Don't be afraid to get the 'plus' or extra dry' version of your favorite product.  Lotion isn't your thing?  We all know black folks love some cocoa butter, so go for it!! Although your friends and colleagues will be able to smell you from a mile away, at least we know your skin looks tight.  They even have bath gels often found in the baby product's section.  You place it on right when you get out of the shower so the substance absorbs into your skin instantly. Make it work for you.

So people, I ask you to join me in the "Ashy to classy" revolution.  James Brown encouraged us to be black and proud, so let's not let him down.  Don't put down your friends that look like they just rolled around in chalk dust.  Offer them a dollop of your lotion.  Take a good look at yourself before you head out the door.  Your body deserves to not only look good, but feel good.  Put that lotion in motion, baby!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shea Butter Cocoa Butter our best bet for some of our ashy.