Friday, January 2, 2009

One On One With Lawrence Watkins - Founder of Great Black Speakers


Name: Lawrence Watkins

Current Gig/Occupation: Owner of Great Black Speakers Bureau and MBA student at Cornell University

Motto: “Success is manufactured”

Favorite Quote: In order for God to direct you, you have to be moving.

Q: What makes you one to watch in your opinion?

I am very ambitious and I want to make a positive impact on my community politically, socially, and economically. Also, I have a business that is growing and that will soon be a powerhouse within the speaking industry.

Q: What’s the most important lesson you learned so far?

Always approach task and people with humility, yet still have the confidence inside that you know you will achieve.

Q: What or who are your inspirations?

Warren Buffet, Google, The Wire, my parents, my brother Dr. Boyce Watkins, John Wooden (Former UCLA basketball coach), Tim Ferris Author of the 4-hour Workweek.

Q: If you could meet anyone dead or alive who would it be?

John Wooden. His books on leadership have changed my life.

Q: Describe a typical day.

I wake up about 7:20 a.m. in the morning and take my shower and get ready for school. On the bus, I listen to a motivational audiobook on my iPod. From 8:40 – 1:10 p.m. I am in my finance, strategy, and statistics classes. After that I take a break and review my financial and advertising numbers for Great Black Speakers. The company’s director gives me a call and an update on the daily activities for the last 24 hours. From 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., I am preparing for class/tests. Lastly, I hang out with my friends on another successful day.

Q: What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?

I am extremely silly under the right circumstances.

Q: What do you bring that hasn’t been brought to your craft?

I sense of purpose and passion in what I do to help the African-American community. Also, analytical skills that most people do not have.

Q: Where do you hope to be in five years?

I hope to be a tycoon of many different companies related to speaking, public relations, and event planning. I hope to travel the world speaking to organizations about productivity and entrepreneurship.

Q: What’s the one thing you are still trying to overcome or master?

I am trying to become more consistent in my work ethic.

Q: What three words describe your attitude?

Positive, Laid-back, Cerebral

Q: What do you want to be remembered for?

I want to be remembered by the people who loved me and the people that I loved.

No comments: