Monday, July 7, 2008

Lauren London Speaks On Thuggish/Violent Men


To say that the recent statements of 'Actress', Lauren London - in a "King Magazine" interview - is disquieting, is both an underestimation and misunderstanding of the potency attached to the wordage of certain celebrities within our community. Young Black Women are continuously lusting after the aptly-described "ruffnecks" and "thugged-out" brothers within our culture. It was in 1993, when MC Lyte, rapped - on a song called "Ruffneck," from the album, "Aint No Other" -  "I need a ruffneck/I need a dude with attitude/Who only needs his fingers with his food/Karl Kani saggin' timbos draggin'/Frontin' in his ride with his home boys braggin'/Lying 'bout the Lyte how he knocked boots last night/But he's a ruffneck so that's alright." At the time, such allusions were looked upon as little other than artistic-expression, but with the rise in domestic-abuse among black households, such sentiments are beginning to lead to open clues vis-à-vis black-female misjudment. It is an ancient blurb that the good guy always finishes last, but Miss London seemed to put the L in Ludicrous with her recent morally-reprehensible comments. When asked by the interviewer of her choice in men, she replied: 

"An authentic gangsta—that deletes about half the rap game off your list. I love guys who are street. I won’t even give soft guys a chance. Menace II Society is my shit! Caine was like my first crush. Actually, O-Dog was my true dream guy. I was in love with him, from that opening scene where he pops the convenience-store worker. He had me from that gunshot [laughs]. He was ’hood, and I loved that."

- With such statements, it is no wonder our culture is dissipating faster than the dreams of 'authentic' actresses who are more than qualified, but are turned around as a result of their stead-fast belief in integrity. That therefore 'deletes' Ms. London off any such list.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Lauren London, as is any woman, is entitled to her own perception of what is attractive in a man. She isn't promoting domestic violence. To liken her acting career to her statement about her choice in men is a bit extreme. The real issue is not in her choice in men, it is instead in the depth of the african-american female characters you see on tv as a result of the "thug" lifestyle.

Anonymous said...

- "The real issue is not in her choice in men"

The "real issue" is not only her choice in men, but that choice, when expressed publicly, towards impressionable teenagers and fans. Her statements we're pathetic at the very least, and deeply-upsetting at the modest.

- To whom much is given, much is expected.

Anonymous said...

That's the type a hoe that's beggin to get an ass beating. I used to be like, all attracted to thugs and shit. Then, after my ex-husband tried to kill me, I learned the value of having a man who doesn't want to shoot motherfuckers for a living.

Unknown said...

I think this is just disgusting. I wish Lauren would keep her ignorant mouth shut! And yall wonder why boys participate in this thuggish behavior; they only do it to impress girls. I can't stand her now.

Anonymous said...

Lauren is entitled to her own opinion (however ignorant it is) while this cycle continues to make men become more "thuggish." I think all men should have a chance without being prejudged.