Saturday, April 26, 2008

Underrepresented Maybe, Certainly Not a Minority


Les and Moore Speak
by
Aris Winger
www.dcsouth.com

Les and Moore went for a walk
Les thought “It’s time for that important talk.”
He knows that now is the time
To express the pressing issue on his mind.

“When in all the history of this society
Has the victory gone to the minority?
Never! Certainly not here in this country
Where all is dictated by the majority.”

“So when the majority gets to choose
It seems the minority is destined to lose.”
Les tried to contain his sadness
But that emotion was tempered by a subtle hint of madness.

“Please Brother Moore tell me I’m paranoid
that all of my suspicions are really null and void
that when you view me as a minority
that it’s not some helpless bum that you see.”

Moore was taken a bit by surprise
But knew Les was serious by the look in his eyes.
Moore then told his brother what he thought was fair.
All the while showing that he really cared.

“Minority is just a term referring to a number.
In no way does it mean that you are dumber.
I don’t say “minority” to hurt your pride.
I love you because of what’s inside.”

Les breathed easier and felt proud
That he could say how he felt to his brother out loud.
Given this, there was one last simple task.
To reveal the question he always wanted to ask.

“Moore could you do me a favor, please?
Could you stop referring to me with the term ‘minorities?’
I know my pain is not your intention
But as I just explained, I find the term offensive.

This is not just a numbers game
Of whose greater, fewer, or the same.
It’s really about the percent.
It’s so low that we have little chance to represent.

We certainly are not a high percentage of success.
Have you taken the latest inventory of Congress?
You may see us in the latest video
But would find it difficult to find us as a CEO.

So please Moore, know that I am underrepresented.”
Upon hearing this, Moore understood and relented.
“I am sorry,” he said and he meant it.
The brothers hugged, feeling content with it.

This can happen if we really talk
About the things that usually make us balk
The discussion may be hard and bring a tear.
But the road to progress starts with being sincere.


No comments: